5 Powerful Ways To Develop A Growth Mindset Forever
Here are 5 powerful ways to develop a growth mindset, plus the difference between a growth and a fixed mindset!
What Does It Mean To Have A Growth Mindset?
To have a growth mindset means that you can grow through personal development and effort as opposed to being fixed on what talents or traits you have inherently.
People with growth mindsets believe they can develop skills and intelligence through personal growth, development practice, effort, and perseverance.
A growth mindset isn’t necessarily a synonym for a positive attitude but a determined, disciplined, and committed one.
RELATED: 8 Simple Skills To Boost Your Self Development Journey
What Is The Definition Of A Fixed Mindset?
People with a fixed mindset believe that talents, intelligence, etc are qualities that you either possess or you don’t.
Typically, people with a fixed mindset believe that if they aren’t good at something that is unchangeable.
***Download my Monthly Goal Setting Template***
Growth Mindset vs Fixed Mindset Examples
Growth Mindset Examples
- With practice and determination, I can be good at anything I set my mind to.
- Failures are a way of learning.
- Setbacks are opportunities for me to pivot.
- I choose to put in the time and effort now.
- I am delaying gratification until I have finished my work.
- Challenges don’t scare me. They are opportunities for me to learn and grow.
- I love to learn and develop new skills.
- I embrace constructive criticism and use it as a means to grow even more.
- Other people’s successes inspire and motivate me.
Fixed Mindset Examples
- I am only good at what I can do.
- I give up easily when faced with failures.
- Setbacks make me want to stop everything altogether.
- I don’t need to put in any time or effort.
- I choose quick gratification before I do the work, then I end up procrastinating.
- I steer clear of challenges and choose to stay in my familiar comfort zone.
- I have some skills inherently and that is all.
- I ignore and dismiss criticism.
- I feel threatened by other people’s successes.
5 Powerful Ways To Develop A Growth Mindset
1. Commit 3-5 minutes to something you want to learn every single day.
Commitment and consistency are two very important qualities to have that will help you develop a growth mindset more than anything else.
When you think of committing to learning a skill, do not overwhelm yourself by aiming very high. Instead, aim for short sessions, every single day.
By practicing for 3-5 minutes every day, you are working on improving your commitment muscle which will open up a lot more doors in your life other than just skill learning, such as health and fitness, etc.
2. Delay gratification.
Let’s say you’re coming home from work and instead of putting in 3-5 minutes of learning or practicing immediately, you choose to watch your favourite show.
You promise yourself you’ll do it later and you watch another episode, then another. When you’re done watching your show you go on social media and before you know it you’ve spent 1 hour aimlessly scrolling.
Now it’s close to supper time and you’re hungry. You have to cook something which takes effort. You eat and you feel sleepy from the day’s workload.
So you say, “I’ll practice tomorrow, for sure”. But tomorrow comes and the same pattern continues.
Watching your show, eating that treat, taking time off, etc, are all ways to gratify yourself. Choose to do the hard work first then reward yourself with any of these forms of gratification! That is how you break the cycle of procrastination and instead grow steadily and successfully.
3. Get rid of negative beliefs and replace them with empowering ones.
People with growth mindsets have an incredible relationship with their minds.
Your thoughts, beliefs, and images have an immense impact on your life, whether you see it or not.
Take some time for yourself and do a deep and honest brain investigation,
Are there negative beliefs that are holding you back? Do you think you’re not good enough? Perhaps you believe you could never achieve your goals? Do you have low self-esteem?
It is absolutely OK to have such self-limiting beliefs. In fact, it’s not even your fault for having them. Self-limiting beliefs are picked up via our subconscious as we journey through our lives through experiences, family, friends, etc.
What isn’t ok is taking on these self-limiting beliefs and choosing to believe them and let them navigate your life choices.
Here are two articles that can help you with getting rid of self-limiting beliefs:
- 12 Affirmations For Self Limiting Beliefs To Quickly Become Unlimited
- 8 Simple Skills To Boost Your Self Development Journey
4. Look at failures and setbacks as opportunities to learn, grow and pivot.
The truth is, no one likes to fail. However, failure is a very important part of success. The two go hand-in-hand!
Without failures and setbacks, there really isn’t enough growth and adaptation. If everything is just going smoothly, what have you really learned?
So, do NOT be faced with failures and setbacks. When faced with such, remain calm, and be confident in yourself and your skills that you can and will get through them and come out the other way smarter, better, and more resilient!
5. Accept constructive criticism, and deflect destructive criticism.
What’s the difference?
While both types of criticism point out flaws and mistakes, etc, the big difference lies in the intention of each type.
Constructive criticism is aimed at building someone up by pointing out where they can improve and what they could change for the greater good.
Destructive criticism is aimed at tearing someone down without offering any support or constructive ideas and tips.
Like this post? Pin it for later!
So which mindset do you think you have?
Remember, thanks to neuroplasticity and human’s natural will to learn and grow you do NOT have to stay where you are.
Implement the powerful growth mindset tips above and I promise you you will transform into a fulfilled person and never look back!
***Download my Monthly Goal Setting Template***
If you enjoyed this post, check these ones out:
- 22 Inspiring New Year Journal Prompts For 2023
- 10 Mantras For Self Love To Help You Feel Better About Yourself
- 25 Positivity Affirmations That Will Shift Your Mindset [PDF]
Follow me on social media!